Sunday, April 1, 2018

Refinancing and Paying Ahead

Last week, we saw two ways to save money in an amortized loan.  The first option was to refinance. This means to transfer the outstanding balance of your loan to a newer loan with a lower interest rate (and perhaps a different term).  To do this, you must find the unpaid balance of your loan.  The formula for this looks just like the formula we use for an amortized loan with P replaced by U and the mt in the exponent replaced with N, where N is the number of payments remaining on the loan:
 \[ U = R\left[\dfrac{1-\left(1+\frac{r}{m}\right)^{-N}}{\frac{r}{m}}\right] \]

The second way to save we looked at was to pay extra towards reducing your principal each month.  We called this "paying ahead".  In this situation, we want to use the formula for the amortized loan to solve for t to determine how soon we would pay off the loan.  You should also be able to determine how much money you save by paying a fixed amount extra each month.
 \[ P = R\left[\dfrac{1-\left(1+\frac{r}{m}\right)^{-mt}}{\frac{r}{m}}\right] \]

There are many calculators online to help answer these questions and more about taking out a loan. Below are links to some calculators that you may find useful when you want to consider taking out a loan in the future.

Bankrate.com

Amortization Schedule Calculator

Mortgage Payoff Calculator

Cost of Living Calculator

Is it Better to Rent or Buy?

We will only be considering fixed rate loans in all of our examples.  But lenders may also offer you an adjustable rate mortgage (ARM).  As the name suggests, with an adjustable rate mortgage, your rate can change, depending on market rates.  These loans can be risky - if rates go up, so does your monthly payment.

Challenge Problem: (Due Tuesday, April 10) Determine what kind of job you want to have after you graduate.  Research salaries for this job in your dream town.  Using a home affordability calculator, determine how expensive a house you could afford based on this salary.  Then, go to zillow.com, and choose a home to purchase (in your budget) in your dream town.  Looking at current interest rates, choose a loan.  Given this loan, calculate the following by hand.  (You may use the online calculator to check your answers, but you must also work out the answers by hand.)
1. Your monthly payments.
2. The amount of interest you would pay by just making the minimal monthly payments.
3. The amount of interest you would pay by paying an extra $100 each month and how soon you would be able to pay off the loan.
4. The amount of interest you would pay by paying an extra $250 each month and how soon you would be able to pay off the loan.
Include the resources you used to determine your future salary, home affordability, loan terms, and the Zillow page for the home you chose.

11 comments:

  1. While working out this challenge problem, I'm getting kind of excited because it makes me want to figure out what I can afford when I start working my dream job. By doing this problem I am able to figure out what my potential monthly payments would be, the interest, and learn how to use zillow. This is helpful because some day when I can afford a home, I will already know how to use the website and how to calculate what home I can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate there are people smart enough to make calculators to help with the ways one spends their money because I still have trouble doing these problems and in the future when I need to figure out what house is best for me, these calculators will be my best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These mortgage calculators are really helpful for checking your answers on the refinancing and paying ahead problems. Thank you for these links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These type of problems are the easier problems for me. They're still hard but I just understand them better than the other types.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dealing with worksheet 4 is very confusing noticing if annuity formula or loan formula best fits the problem. The wording is similar but somewhat different and its tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mortgage calculators are so beneficial, I used them to help me check my homework and I'm so glad I was able to, because they're very useful. Eventually in the future I will need these calculators, and learning how to use these will help me out greatly. I appreciate you putting these links for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the cost of living calculator and it was extremely helpful, I would like to move away somewhere warm such as California, and I realized the cost of living is way higher than Missouri. The cost is 58% higher in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have applied for a few jobs in South Dakota. The cost of living calculator made me use Pierre SD, instead of Rapid City SD but I'm sure the economies are similar. The cost of living is 11% higher there than it is in Kansas City. This is definitely useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the calculator was helpful but i sometimes i do put it in wrong so i would have to look up what i was doing wrong. now i know all the places that i shouldn't live in unless im rich

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mortgage calculator became so helpful. It was nice to be able to check my answers with it. I found this section the most interesting because this is something I will use one day when it comes to purchasing a new car or house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete