Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Finance

This week, we will begin a new unit on Financial Math. Please make sure you print out the notes and bring them with you to class.  We will start this week with a discussion of interest - simple interest and compound interest.  There will be a lot of formulas in this unit, and you will need to practice with them to get comfortable using them.  I will provide you with the formulas (unlabeled) for the exam, so you need to focus on identifying what formulas apply to what problems.  In addition, it will be very important to remember your calculator for class every day in this unit - you don't want to have to do these calculations by hand! Those of you in lab should have been reviewing logarithms and exponentials in that class recently.  We will be using logarithms to help solve problems in this unit; if you need additional review of logarithms, please see me.  The webpage below is also a good source of review for problems involving logs and exponents.

Exponential and Logarithmic Equations

We will be starting with simple and compound interest on Tuesday.   I recorded a video lecture over simple and compound interest last time I taught this class (linked below).  


Mid-term grades will be submitted on Wednesday.  For those of you looking to improve your grade, remember that this unit doesn't build on the content from the previous two units, so you have a fresh start with Finance.  The homework (both online and the paper homework) is an important component of your grade.  Doing the homework is what prepares you to do well on the exam.  If you haven't been keeping up with the homework, now is a good time to start.  Come see me in office hours if you find you are struggling on the homework.  Finally, remember that you get points for participating with the blog.  Click on some links and comment about what you read.  These are easy points and you shouldn't miss out on getting them!  (In the comments on this post, tell me what you hope to learn in this unit and why.)





15 comments:

  1. I think finance is one of the few useful things for those who are not interested in math or who are not good at it. We all have money and have to manage it and be able to figure out money mostly on our own. I think bank rates and interest are useful to learn. Logarithms and exponential equations don't look like they have an everyday use like interest does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Financial math has been my favorite unit of out three because it's the only one I will really use during or after college. Most people in America have at some point taken out a loan or have a bank account so knowing how to calculate simple or compound interest comes in handy. I also enjoy that this unit is mostly plugging and chugging into a calculator plus some simple math.

    Nicole Henley, MATH 110E 11:00-12:20

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far this unit has been handy for me and is a unit that I can relate to real life. I used the annuity and compound interest formulas to calculate the money I would be giving to my bank in interest for a loan on the car that I have. My banker actually went through the calculations with me before I decided to proceed with my loan. I've be able to catch on to this unit very quickly. I love being able to use equations to solve problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This unit has been probably the most useful for me because I know I'm going to have to apply it to everyday life. Using the finance formulas dealing with housing has helped me the most. I would have to say this is probably the most fun I've had with Math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Phillip, this unit is very ideal for individuals going into the work field. I particularly enjoy this work because I'm learning about something I always wanted to do, invest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

  7. I find this finance section a lot easier to catch on to then the previous chapters even though the calculator can be a hassle at times. And this is actually a section that can be applied to everyday life stuff. Ill actually have to know how to do its refreshing from other math Ive learned in the past

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finance has definitely been easier for me to catch on. I like that you can plug your A,P, r,t into your calculator all at once ( once you figure out which is what) and calculate the problem all at once instead of in steps. We use finance in our everyday life for our payments. So much money comes out of my account every month for insurance, and car payment.Using finance I can figure out how much my intrest is and how many more payments I have left until my car is paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally enjoy this section of the class better than the other. Although there are some times when financial math becomes quite difficult and frustrating, it is a lot more simple and easier to grasp after some practice. Financial math is not as bad as most may think. I definitely think this will be something quite useful for life after college. I for sure see the purpose of this section.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out of all the units we learned, Financial Math has to be one of the most interesting unit we have studied this semester, in my opinion. The formulas may look scary at the beginning, but it gets so much easier once understood properly. It definitely was one of my favorite unit and i believe it will help me a lot in the near future as I am a Business Major.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out of the three units we have covered this semester I think that financial math will be the most useful to us in the real world. The formulas were easier to understand at the beginning and as the formulas grew it became more difficult to understand. but the more time I have spend practicing the easier it has gotten to figure the problems out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The finance chapter has definitely been the most interesting, it will help us out in the long run once we have graduated and purchase our own house and need to figure out monthly payments and mortgage/interest rates, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like finance more than probability. It's not as difficult and it's easy t understand. this will help me out in the long run because im about to start paying for my phone bill and ill need alot of help doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found that I really like the finance more than probability because I really struggled with the probability portion of this math class. The finance math will help me out more in my life because eventually I will take out a loan for a house and will maybe want to do what we have learned in this class.

    ReplyDelete