Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Upcoming Due Dates and Exam 1

You have now been introduced to all of the Graph Theory concepts for this unit.  We will be spending some more time on these concepts this week to make sure you've got everything straight.  There are a lot of new definitions in this unit.  Definitions are important; without understanding the definitions, it's impossible to answer questions about them! You can expect to see some definitions on the exam. 

There are several due dates coming up.  Here's a reminder:

Graph Theory Worksheet 2 - Due in class Tuesday, Jan 30
Graph Theory WebWork 2 - Due Tuesday, Jan 30
Graph Theory Worksheet 3 - Due in class Thursday, Feb 1
Graph Theory WebWork 3 - Due Feb 2
Graph Theory Worksheet 4 - Due in class Tuesday, Feb 6
Graph Theory WebWork 4 - Due Friday, Feb 9 (but I strongly suggest you complete this assignment before the exam!)

Graph Theory Exam 1 - In class on Tuesday, Feb 6.  

An exam review is posted in the Handouts folder linked on the right of the blog.  You should print this out and bring it to class with you on Thursday. 

It's natural to have some anxiety before an exam.  To help make sure you are well-prepared for this exam, you should first work on learning all of the definitions from this unit.  Then, practice with problems to make sure you can apply what you've learned.  You have a wealth of problems with which to practice from the WebWork, worksheets, and from the reviews we will use in class this week.  Identify the problems you marked wrong when you graded your worksheets and make sure you know how to correct the problem now.  It helps to get yourself in the right mindset before an exam.  

Ideas for response: 
  • You can find ideas of things to think about the night before an exam here.  Have you ever used any of these to help prepare yourself for an exam?  Do you have other tricks to help get yourself in the right frame of mind before an exam?
  • What do you usually do to prepare for an exam? Do you do anything differently to prepare for a math exam versus an exam in a humanities course?
  • Carol Dweck studies mindsets.  Students with a growth mindset have an attitude of "I can't do this. . .yet", while students with a fixed mindset have an attitude of "I can't do this. . .ever".  Watch the short video Mindsets: Fixed vs. Growth and report on what you learned.  Do you think you have a fixed mindset or a growth mindset?


12 comments:

  1. To prepare for exams I usually turn on some background music and study in 30 minute sessions and take 15 minute breaks in between. When I study for math I usually do sample problems rather than look at notes like I would for a science class.
    Andrew Stroud

    ReplyDelete
  2. To prepare for an exam, I usually go through all of my notes that I've taken. I also go back and look through problems that I've done before and I also redo them to make sure I still can solve them. I study for about 30 minutes then take a break and then come back and study for 30 more minutes. Something that I also have found that works is beginning to study about 2 weeks ahead of time and studying little bits of info at a time.
    Emily Bowman MAT 110 E Section 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To prepare for exams I usually go over exams. I will rewrite or reread over notes. The ones I confident about I just read over. If I don't feel to great about the definitions then I will sometimes write them on flash cards and continue to go over them until I know them very well. I can study for long periods of times without getting irritated or overwhelmed so I usually study for an hour or so. I also will study a couple days before the exam and just continue to study.
    Tuesday Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  4. To prepare for an upcoming exam I usually always make sure that I understand the terms with in the chapters. I also go over the home work assignments that were assigned during that time. I after doing all of that and I still need some more practice I usually will try to meet with the professor and see if there is any other work sheets or such that I can work on to help better myself before the test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I am usually preparing for an exam, I make a list of things
    that will be important for the upcoming exam. I then begin to make my own study guide by writing down the questions, or in this case problems. As I do that, I am structuring my personal study guide in a way that is best for me. When I am studying for math, I try an example problem on my own so that I am familiar with the material. Whereas in other courses, examples my not be necessary. But, I do go over my study guide numerous times so it is easier to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I have been preparing for an exam I go through all of my notes and pick what I think is the most important. Then when I am studying I will pick a piece of gum that I have the most of and I will chew that while I study and when I am taking the exam the next day. I always study right before bed and right before the exam just to refresh my mind and studies have shown you remember things right before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a studier kind of person. My life is always just so busy I have never just had the time to sit and study. But Math is definitely not one of my strong points so I have to make time to study and give myself the extra help because I know I tend to panic when it comes to test time because I don't feel completely ready. What I have learned that helps me a lot when studying for as test is to just keep doing the work over and over and some times even giving myself a whole new problem to help me feel confident that I know whats going on and I can figure it out.
    -Casey Newton MAT110E Section 8

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To prepare for an exam I look back through my notes and pick out the most important points. Once I pick the most important points I write them all down together on a separate sheet of paper. writing them on a separate piece of paper helps me to feel more prepared and organized for my exam. I normally study the night before an exam and the day of the exam. looking at my notes right before an exam helps to refresh my memory.
    -Chayse Schmidt MAT110E Section 8

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are lots of good ideas to prepare for exams here. With math, I would recommend that you at least work on a couple problems a night leading up to the exam, rather than waiting until the night before to practice the exam review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To prepare for my exam, I wrote down all of the terms in my notebook and used them along side working on my worksheets. I found that the constant referring back to my notes helps the definitions stick. I also work on problems from previous homework sheets the night before the test. If I can complete the problem without referring to my notes then I know I am ready for the test.
    Dejah Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  12. To prepare for my exam, I wrote down all of the terms in my notebook and used them along side working on my worksheets. I found that the constant referring back to my notes helps the definitions stick. I also work on problems from previous homework sheets the night before the test. If I can complete the problem without referring to my notes then I know I am ready for the test.
    Dejah Campbell

    ReplyDelete